What Does The Coroner Do?
The Coroner’s Office is responsible for investigating all suspicious, violent, sudden, and unexpected deaths that occur in Richland County. Additionally, the Coroner also investigates all deaths that occur in a hospital within the first 24 hours of admission.
After the investigation is concluded, the Coroner determines whether the manner of death is due to natural causes, an accident, a suicide, or a homicide. The Coroner also assists and counsels the families, helping them to cope with their loss by using victim advocates.
The Richland County Coroner’s Office will investigate all deaths within its jurisdiction according to State law. Duly qualified personnel will conduct investigations in a timely manner using sound scientific methods. Trust and confidence in the ability of the Coroner’s Office will be established through cooperation with related agencies and the citizens of Richland County.
The Richland County Coroner’s Office will support and provide comfort to surviving family members and their friends through a partnership with area ministers and grief counselors.
The Richland County Coroner’s Office will maintain its partnership with government agencies, Richland County citizens, and community groups to raise awareness and educate the public about preventable deaths.
Goals & Objectives:
- The Coroner ensures that the citizens of Richland County receive the best possible investigation of each death
- The Coroner ensures that the citizens of Richland County are kept informed about the status of a death investigation of a family member.
- The Coroner ensures that the citizens of Richland County are protected against known hazards that have caused death by taking corrective measures.
- The Coroner will adequately equip all deputy coroners so that they can perform within the established and published guidelines and standards set forth by SC State Law and OSHA regulations.
- The Coroner will continue to utilize the volunteer services of the Connect Team to help families in their time of need.